Shed Some Skin
Streetlight Manifesto wishes they could ska as hard as Slow Gherkin…
shots. fucking. fired.
When I first heard ‘Shed Some Skin’ as a teenager, one of my first thoughts was “This is what Streetlight could sound like if they weren’t horrible”.
SG are in a whole other realm, though. The world - let alone the genre of ska-punk - is worse off as a whole without them.
I like it!! #gogo13
Hey! Those two shapeless white blobs in the middle of the screen are myself and Jexis Lexington! Jex and I headed straight from WonderCon to the G13 show, met up with old-school Aquacadets Jeff and Awesome Lad and embarrassed ourselves dancing with moves only the most painfully white of peoples could pull off. Thanks to whomever took this picture! Hope you guys had a good time!
is it true there's gonna be a "goonies" remake?
It’s going to be a sequel, actually. Richard Donner announced yesterday that Steven Spielberg is on board. Corey Feldman has also stated that he’s willing to star in it, but only if it has a “perfect script”. You know, kind of like that other sequel he starred in…
Or that other perfect sequel he starred in:
As it wasn’t linked in Tumblebats’ announcement, here’s the Facebook event page for the WonderCon Aquacadet gathering I’m co-hosting with randamhajile. Just like last year, it’s going to be a wild and wacky fan experience, and you don’t even need a WonderCon pass to attend! So go ahead and RSVP! Share it with your friends! Bring your neighbors! EVERYONE’S invited, even the people who continue to send me anon hate for some reason! Here’s some more details:
Hey kids, Cadets, and general Aqua-fans! Wondercon is coming up and there’s gonna be an Aquabats fan meetup! Deets are on this fab-u-lous poster (courtesy of tumblr user BumblingB), but just to repeat—
- Meet Saturday at Wondercon
- It’s at 2pm
- It’s at the fountain right OUTSIDE the con
- We’ll hang for a bit, take some photos, and then migrate over to a close-by pizza place and hang for an hour or two
- NO WONDERCON TICKETS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND!
So, we hope to see as many of you rad people there as possible! The only requirement to attend is to like the Aquabats! Or like, be breathing and alive! Seriously if you just stumble on us, join our pack and have some pizza with us!
But uh, yeah! Stay rad, everyone! See you all there!
I wish the aquabats would rerecord a few songs to have the energy and some of the stuff they added and changed for their live shows
songs like martian girl, or giant robot birdhead (compared to the live recordings on youtube, the album version seems really lethargic)
"Martian Girl!" I desperately want re-recorded, mostly because it’s now played in a completely different genre (and for the better, might I opine). I also wouldn’t mind another version of "Look At Me (I’m a Winner)!" since I really quite like the small but noticeable alteration of MCBC’s pitch going up on the "Look at me, look at me, look at me" in the second and third chorus rather than down like on the studio version.
Most of the older songs (on ‘Fury’ and especially ‘Return’) would probably benefit from being re-done by the current, tighter line-up with more polished production quality. As far as ‘Floating Eye’ and ‘Myths & Legends’ material, I’d prefer to leave those alone since the band can no longer re-create the dual lead guitars and brass accents that made the music on those discs so superb…it all sounds too sloppy, fast and loud when played live nowadays, and I think stripping down the instrumentation for studio re-recordings would be a detriment.
This photo is important.
A lot of people seem unaware that the Aquabat in front is Popeye, a rhythm guitarist who joined the band for their 2005 tour but never recorded any material with them (though he did appear in the “Fashion Zombies!” music video).
Another point of interest: this photo was taken at Carney’s in West Hollywood, a primo hot dog joint. Stop by and lick the tables, if you’re so inclined to absorb The Aquabats’ condimental powers.
1. The base: The first layer is a mix of crisped rice and white chocolate.
2 the filling:The second layer is coconut cream with coconut flakes.
3. the forming:After a quick stop in the freezer to firm the sheet up, cut out the shape with a warmed knife
4. stare at it: make sure there is a bite taken out.
5. the coating!: This was actually kinda tough since the coconut was so bumpy. cover the pants in chocolate once and brush some onto the underside. Then use a heated knife to level off the top and smooth the sides to prep for a second coat. Finally, repour the dark chocolate shell so it’ll have a smoother look.
6. the sleeve: use some nice silver cardstock that’s cut with an x-acto to create simple sleeves.
7. look at your work again: A pile of half-eaten choco pants.
8. the paper label!: have some labels to wrap the sleeves in. find the front of the bar online and then create a back label to match it. I finish it off with ridged craft scissors on the side and ta-da! You got SBLOUNSKCHED!
My jaw literally dropped over this. We live in a glorious, glorious time.
I mean, sure, I’m disappointed by the lack of pepperoni and marshmallow vapor, but we - as non-cartoon characters - try to do what we can in our pitiful reality.